What is pH and being alkaline?
If you just found out that your body’s pH was on the acidic side, you’re probably not the only one. 99% of the American population is too acidic, but few know what this really means. The body has optimal conditions that it functions under and it will do almost anything to maintain an oral pH of 7.3. The body will pull essential minerals, such as calcium, potassium, and magnesium, from our body tissues to try to re-establish alkalinity. The purpose of an alkaline diet is to support your body’s natural pH and optimize health.
What can I do?
- Consume alkaline foods.
- Minimize or avoid acidic foods.
- Lemons are low in sugar and high in strongly alkaline minerals (potassium, magnesium, and sodium). Drinking lemon water or eating lemons in meals creates a very alkalizing effect on the body, regardless of containing citric acid.
- Avoid caffeine. Rooibos is an excellent alternative to caffeinated drinks.
What can I expect with alkaline nutrition?
- Since yeasts, bacteria, and molds easily proliferate under acidic conditions, your pH can better combat infectious processes.
- Foster a healthy body weight by reducing fat storage around vital organs that occurs when the body is in an acidic state.
- In combination with chiropractic care, your rate of healing will speed up and recovery time will reduce.